mARKET AND eatery 15111 wASHINGTON sTREET hAYMARKET, vIRGINIA
Recipes from September Cooking Classes: Green Goddess Salad Dressing adapted from Ina Garten
Ingredients: 1 cup mayonnaise 1 cup fresh parsley (stems removed) 1 cup fresh basil leaves 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 cloves roasted garlic 2 tsp. anchovy paste 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. ground black pepper 1 cup sour cream
1. Add everything except sour cream to a Vitamix or Blend Tech. Process until smooth. 2. Add sour cream and process on low until just blended. 3. Refrigerate overnight.
Note: Using low fat or fat free mayo or sour cream will change the outcome significantly.
Sweet Corn Gazpacho Ingredients: 2 lbs. yellow tomato (about 3) stemmed and cored 2 yellow pepper, core and seeds removed 3 ears fresh corn, blanched, chucked and scraped 1/4 sweet onion 2 cloves roasted garlic 1/2 fresh small jalapeno, stemmed, cored, seeds removed 1 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar 1 cup water
1. Process everything in a Vitamix or Blend Tech 2. Refrigerate for 1 hr. before serving.
Gnocchi Basics Ingredients: 3 large Idaho baking potatoes 1 large egg, beaten 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 2 tbs. kosher salt
1. Pierce and bake potatoes until tender (about 45 minutes at 400) 2. Cool potatoes, and remove skin. 3. Rice potatoes in a ricer or mill. 4. Pile the fluffy riced potatoes on a large cutting board. Make an indentation in the center and add egg and salt. (Freshly ground pepper if desired) 5. Sprinkle several tablespoons of flour on top and gently begin to blend and knead. 6. Gradually add remainder of flour and knead until incorporated. This should take no longer than 5 or 6 kneads. 7. Allow dough to rest, covered for 10 minutes. 8. Cut and roll into 1/2 inch diameter ropes. 9. Cut and fork as directed.
Insta Pot (Pressure Cooker ) Short Rib Ragu Ingredients: 4-5 lbs. short ribs, cut into 2" chunks Salt and Pepper 2 sprigs fresh rosemary 3 sprigs fresh thyme 2 sprigs fresh parsley 2 small diced shallot 3 tbs. tomato paste 3 cups dry red wine 1 tbs. concentrated beef base
1. Cut short ribs and evenly season with salt and pepper. 2. Add remaining ingredients. 3. Add water if necessary to completely cover meat. 4. Set cooking time to "Meat" and add 15 additional minutes plus 15 or minutes of cool down time. 5. Remove beef and set aside to cool, then shred and refrigerate. 6. Place broth in a shallow container to cool, then refrigerate for 1 hour or more. 7. Remove solid fat layer from broth and discard. 8. Heat broth and reduce until slightly thickened. 9. Add shredded beef to reduced broth.
Deconstructed Cannoli Ingredients: 4 cups whole milk (do not substitute) 2 cups heavy cream (do not use half and half) 1 tsp. kosher salt 3 tbs. white wine vinegar
1. Set a large strainer over a deep bowl. 2. Line the strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth 3. Add milk and cream into a heavy bottom pot. Bring to full boil. 4. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. 5. Allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 minutes or until it curdles. 6. Pour the mixture into cheesecloth lined strainer and allow it to drain into the bowl at room temp. for 45 minutes. Occasionally, you can empty the bowl to prevent liquid from backing up into the strainer. (The longer you drain the ricotta, the thicker it will become) 7. Discard the whey from the bowl and transfer ricotta to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate, holding up to 4 days. 8. When needed, fold the following into the ricotta:
1 heaping tbs. powdered sugar Zest of 1 lemon 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1/3 cup shopped bittersweet chocolate 1/3 cup dried cherries
Serve with pizzella
Note: You can use store bought ricotta for this recipe. If you do, place the ricotta into a cheesecloth lined strainer, apply a little pressure and tie off the top of the cheesecloth, like a little bag. Place the strainer over a deep bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 hours to drain liquid. If you skip this step, your ricotta will have an unpleasant grainy texture.